Monday, July 6, 2009

Brrrrrg-Brrrrrg *** Dad's turn ***

Hello.

*** This is mom. Dad just went to the hospital. Can't talk but will call you later.

How are you doing mom?

I am fine. Got to go back into room with dad. I will call you later....

(sigh)



Hi, This is Phyllis. How are you?

I am fine. How are you? (Thinking all along, why is Phyllis calling me? She and her husband are friends to my parents so this must mean there is something wrong.)

I don't want you to panic and your mom does not want you to jump on a plane but she is in the hospital. I asked if I could call you because I thought you kids should know. You know your mom. Doesn't want to bother anyone.

I know. Thank you for calling me. What happened? Is she okay?

She said she just did not feel right. Felt sick and had a persistent and painful headache. Your dad went to the nursing home in the meantime, so we are going to grab some clothes for him and go visit.

Thank you for being such great friends to my parents, Phyllis. And thank you so much for calling. I will let my brother know. Again, thank you so much.

It is what friends do. We look out for each other.

So...
I called my mom at the hospital. She was on morphine so she was very tired. She established that she just did not feel right and it had been going on for a about a week or so. When she got up that morning, she got sick and had a headache. She thought it might pass so she showered and had her breakfast. It did not, so, she called the hospital. They came and picked her up. Since my dad is totally dependent on my mom, he had to go as well. They took them both and as my mom got checked in, my dad sat and waited. Then someone from the nursing home came and picked up my father because he needed his care and meds. Bottom line, both are in great care and it is still not clear what is going on with my mom. They are doing further testing that includes a stress test.
My mom is exhausted. She is 79 and has been in good health but since my dad's failing health over the last 4 years, she has been number one caretaker. That is a 24/7 job and I think she is just tired and stressed. So, this is where she ended up.
It is time to move on. Their hometown has a great retirement community and now they want and need to go. Unfortunately, the economy has made it hard for them to sell their house and, of course, they need to do that before they can move. However, I have been trying to come up with a plan to buy their house so they can move but now my property value has nothing to yield. And I have to hang on to my job or I won't have anything for my future... so rock and a hard spot.
Since when does getting older have to be such a challenge? Pride kept them from doing this 5 years ago when they first started talking about it. It had(has) a stigma attached that meant you were getting feeble and useless. But the good news is, there are more and more great communities popping up that are like Club Med for Seniors. Social and stimulating with continuing education classes to keep the mind engaged, trips and all kinds of activities. It is a good thing and with the aging Boomers hitting their peak, they seem to be smarter about the inevitable and are okay with making plans early.
So, this brings this line to mind: "...when you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."
Wait a minute... I have been doing that.... ;o)

10 comments:

brianS said...

tough story, Savannah. And one that a lot of us will be facing in the short-ish run. My parents are in their mid-70s and still quite active, but have visibly aged considerably in the past 3-4 years.

Best wishes.

Roxanne Grooms said...

You are very kind bS. Thank you.
One of those passages that moves us into the next chapter but it does not have to be tough or sad if planned... Lots of options.

ponyboy said...

I'm sorry, Savannah.

My mom is having some of the same issues. She's been in and out of the hospital for the last couple of years, then into assisted living until she's able to take care of herself and then back home (so far, anyway).

It's tough (especially when you're a couple of thousand miles away) and I feel for you.

Roxanne Grooms said...

Thanks Atticus... very kind.
Is your mom near by?
If I had my way, my mom/dad would be right here but they did not want to leave their hometown. Guess I cannot blame them...

Have a fantastic trip! Again...lucky kids.

ponyboy said...

Nope. Bella is in the Key City, Mankato, MN. Her youngest son lives in IA; the middle son lives in GA; and, her oldest son, the apple of her eye, lives in CA. So, it's kinda tough...

Dude...we aren't leaving until 7/19...why are you trying to get rid of me?

Roxanne Grooms said...

Why does your mom have an apple in her eye? Is that what they do in Mankato?

Let's face it Atticus, one could never get rid of you. You are like Jason...

in a good way...;o)

Oh, have fun on your trip...

ponyboy said...

Hey, Savannah. I hope your dad is doing better.

Roxanne Grooms said...

Mom is doing well. Dad is still in hospital. Going to nursing home for rehab in next few days.
He is 85. He has a great life and is probably getting tired. And that is not a bad thing. And I mean that with a lot of love. He is getting tired. Simple as that. I am not sure where this is going to land. And I know that some of you are going or have been through this. I am going to look at each day and decide what to do with it. I asked my mom if she wanted me to come home. She said no, not now. I think she is liking her alone time. Not in a selfish way, but in a reflective way. But, I probably will head that way soon. However, I did plan a vacation in November for out of the country. I will buy trip insurance just in case. My mom was all for me going. She wants me to keep living and not wait. So, I am moving forward with the plan. But I will scoot home for a visit too. It is the right thing to do.
Thanks all for looking in...

TILT said...

There are ways but the Way is uncharted;
There are names but not nature in words:
Nameless indeed is the source of creation
But things have a mother and she has a name.

The secret waits for the insight
Of eyes unclouded by longing;
Those who are bound by desire
See only the outward container.

These two come paired but distinct
By their names.
Of all things profound,
Say that their pairing is deepest,
The gate to the root of the world.

--Lao Tzu
"1" from The Way of Life (Mentor, 1983)

Roxanne Grooms said...

That was gorgeous TILT.... thanks.