Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Avid Readers

If you like to read and have read a lot of books or know of books you want to read, there is a great site that allows you to not only organize in categories but lets you find and order on line if you so choose.
I have started tracking the books I have read, currently reading and want to read. Of course, I don't feel like I have the time to read since I feel like I should be getting something else accomplished. However, one of my 2009 resolutions was to find or make the time to read more. So, I have started to go through my library and track it. I have more to add but it is an interesting way to track just how much you have consumed but also to "go shopping" for what you want to devour in the future. I have included link on right-hand side as a widget (it only shows a few entries) or see link below for home page.

Fun journey. Enjoy. Goodreads.

3 comments:

ponyboy said...

I miss reading.

I used to read and read and read some more. Now, even pre-children, all I can muster is 15-20 minutes before I fall asleep and that's no way to read.

On the other hand, I do make time for my good friends, my only friends, at TMZ everynight. For a moment, I was toying with the idea of reading instead of TMZ, but who am I kidding?

I'm a dullard.

Roxanne Grooms said...

I am more about giving myself permission to just sit and read... always feel like I "should" be doing something productive. So, I read before I go to bed. And, like you, I fall asleep in about a short chapter. Currently trying to read A Singular Man since TILT dropped a few lines over at Bootsy's. Enjoying it but....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TILT said...

Current text: The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (Penguin, 2009)

Sample (p. 171):
I got up from the couch and did some calisthenics. I found another carrot stick that had migrated to the bottom of my suitcase and ate it without shame. I did some vocal warm-ups. And yet, I still could not shake the feeling of dull melancholy that had been lurking since my departure, a kind of persistent hollowness, similar to the feeling I got when eating cotton candy: initially there was so much associated nostalgia, so much promise emanating from those luscious pink threads, but when I got down to the act of licking or biting it or whatever one did to cotton candy, there was just not a lot there—in the end, you were just eating a sugar wig.