Sunday, April 5, 2009

SEVENTEEN

1972
Friends/Family:
David T. HS friends, Aunt Gretrude and Uncle Malcolm

I went to prom with David T. Did some game playing that year. Really wanted John P. to ask me but it was a couple weeks away and Dave asked me first. However, John asked me the day after I accepted Dave's invite. So, I called Dave and asked if I could go to prom with him and after party with someone else. I am so surprised he did not hang up on me. I was wheeling and dealing for the big night. I ended up going to both with Dave. We had a great time. Next year I learned my lesson though. I will talk about that in 1973 entry. By the way, I loved this dress. It was a classic.

The Winter of 1972, my Aunt Gertrude and Uncle Malcolm gave me an early graduation present. They were living in Palos Verdes Estates and wanted me to come out and visit. They were paying for everything. I remember my mom talking to Aunt Gertrude and making the plans. It was the first time I was ever on a plane and I flew from Ohio to California. I was so nervous. But the gentleman sitting next to me knew it was my first time flying so he was very kind and talked to me the whole way. I even remember what I had to eat. It was a breast of chicken on a bed of rice. Believe it on not, it was delicious.

I finally got there and it was so warm compared to Ohio in the Winter time. I was to be there a week and I could hardly wait to get the vacation started. We did a million things. I went to Disneyland, of course. We went to the Queen Mary and that is where I had my first cocktail of the trip. It was a Kahlua and Cream. I could not believe my Aunt got it for me but it was so good! We also went to a Hawaiian Luau one evening at one of their friends. My aunt took me shopping so I could find an Hawaiian print dress to wear. When we got there they put a lei around my neck. It smelled wonderful. And of course, more little cocktails for the under aged child. Nice!

We also went to San Diego and that is where this picture was taken. I had my own room at the El Cortez in downtown San Diego. I thought I was pretty special. And then we went to dinner that evening down at the harbor. Again, I remember what I had to eat. Shrimp. My Aunt took this picture of Malcolm and I because we were laughing hysterically about something. While in San Diego, we also went to Sea World and I saw the infamous Shamu. Then we drove to Tijuana where we went shopping and I got a few souvenirs to take home.

The trip was ending and we were at their house relaxing. My Aunt made an artichoke for me. It was awesome and I loved dipping the leaves in butter. But as I got near the center I pulled a leaf out and there was a worm embedded in it. I put it down and said I was no longer hungry.

That night we were watching TV then my Uncle went to bed. My Aunt and I stayed there a bit longer then she started to get up to go to bed. She stumbled and was acting strange. I helped to her room and put her to bed. We did not talk about it the next day but it bothered me so much.


It was not until I got home and a few months had passed that I found out that my Aunt had cancer. This trip was a gift to me for she thought she was not going to see me again. She died soon afterwards. It was very sad but very special that she gave me the best gift of spending time with her.

It is ironic that I would end up in San Diego and now the El Cortez Hotel is a condominium complex. And it was only doing this recap that I realized that the trip was about her dying and wanting to see me and see her surroundings for one last time. She was brave to camouflage it as such. She could have easily gone for the pity. That would not have been her style though. She was a very classy lady. She gives me strength when I think of her. She reminded me of Katherine Hepburn. I guess I have always been surrounded by strong and loving women. And I guess I have followed suit. However, I am not sure if it is a curse or cause. I have never been one to be arm candy, ultra feminine or femme fatal. I don't even get the payoff of that existence but those are the ones who seem to get the men. And what does that say about men. Is it fleeting or do they really like to be around that 24/7? I honestly don't know.
In history, this happened: 1972
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1972.html

No comments: