Sunday, April 5, 2009

FORTY-EIGHT


2003
Friends/Family:
Carol, June

I bought my house in RB. What a deal but it required a lot of love and elbow grease. I was up for the challenge. It was about 1500 sq ft which was huge for me coming from a condo. It also had a backyard and a double car garage. It might as well have been a palace. I started working on it right away. I put in new carpet and tile, drapes, painted the walls in an artistic way, and put in new lights. I also tore up the yard which was filled with rock and replaced with sod so my little dog, Tiger would have a place to run.

The second bedroom I converted into an art studio of sorts. I had my computer and supplies and did not care if I got paint on the walls. This is when I got involved in my new church and stared doing artwork for them. The painting here is in the atrium and it is about 16 feet by 8 feet. Then under each section I put framed verses from the Bible. It was a huge project but I was very please with the installation. The painting is called "The Trinity".

I also painted at services during musical performances. I would get paired up with a soloist and do interpretive painting while he or she sang. It was fun but very physical. I would do a 4 by 6 foot painting in the span of a few minutes. It was action painting for sure. Then I would repeat this effort for 2 more services. By the end, I was spent.

I don't do it anymore. I got too engrossed in the sliver of being "it" and it lost its purpose for me. However, I must say that one Sunday a little boy was on stage and one of my previous paintings was up there serving as a prop. He was being interviewed about the death of his mother. The pastor asked him if he needed anything more since the church had just completed a Home Makeover for his family. He pointed to the painting and said, "I would like to have that. I remember when it was being painted and as I watched, it reminded me of my mother." They immediately gave him the painting. It was of an angel.

A week after I moved into my house, I headed off on a trip of a lifetime. I was going to Australia. I was a guest of Carol's whose husband owned a car dealership. He did not want to go so I got to go in his place for FREE! Channel 8 was giving businesses who did their advertising with them "perk" trips. I was super fortunate and right before I went I lightened my hair. (More detail in 2004.) Carol and I had a great time. Our first leg was in Sydney for about 3 days. On the last night we had dinner at the Opera House. Near the end of the evening, Ed, the CEO at Channel 8, invited everyone out on the patio by the water. A tug boat cruised by and started towards the middle of the bay. We had no idea what was going on. Soon the show started. It was the most spectacular set of fireworks I have ever seen and it was set to music. Incredible! From there we went to Cairns. There I got to snorkel over the Great Barrier Reef. I saw a giant turtle and so many beautiful fish. Being suspended in that water was a feeling of total bliss. I was so lucky to be there and experience this part of the world.

In history, this happened: 2003
http://www.infoplease.com/year/2003.html

No comments: