Sunday, April 5, 2009

TWENTY-TWO

1977

Friends/Family:
WSU friends, Mrs. C

Started at Wright State University on the GI Bill after I got out of the Army. I worked in the Veterans Affairs Office on campus and this is one of my co-workers. We counseled Vets on their benefits when they got out of the service and helped them start their GI Bill benefits for school. It was a great job. All tax-free money. I made money going to school. I had zero debt at the time and I do not recall appreciating that.
I found an ad for a room to rent in a home near campus. It was winter and right before Thanksgiving. I had been looking all day for a place to live and this was my last stop. I got to her house and her daughter answered the door. Since it was the holiday, she had a full house visiting. They invited me in and then I met the owner of the home. Her name was Kay. She immediately said she was sorry but she had rented the room earlier in the day. I thanked her and headed home. I guess if nothing else, I could commute for a while until I found something. The next day was Thanksgiving. I was at mom and dad's and we were sitting down to eat. The phone rang. It was Kay. Since she had rented the room, I did not bother to tell her my contact information. She only knew my name and where I lived. She had called information and started calling all the people by my last name. She finally found me. She said the girl had called her and said she no longer wanted the room. Kay then offered it to me and I accepted. I was so excited because I had a good feeling about living in her home.

In history, this happened: 1977
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1977.html

No comments: