Sunday, April 5, 2009

FIFTY

2005

Friends/Family:
Rob, Kate, Karen, Pam, Dan


I had a great birthday party at the "W". It was a blast. I don't remember my feet hitting the ground the entire night. It was well attended and my friends Rob and Kate flew in from Minneapolis which made it even more special. The gifts were unwrapped as fast as the liquor was flowing. The dancing was fast and furious. It was a great evening. I was very grateful to all who attended.

I was living with Karen while my condo was being finished. My house sold sooner than expected so the timing was such that I would need to live with Karen for about 3 months. It ended up being 9 months and it was about as painful as a pregnancy going beyond full term. Note to self: do not live with friends if you want to keep them as friends. We have since made amends so all is well.

My independence was put to the test in this situation. It was difficult to not have my own space and own things. And Karen was very picky about certain things. I could not wrap my head around them as being significant but I complied. So, using my fight or flight instinct, I took flight and this is when I started training for Tucson. My loss of power in this situation took me on a positive journey. I raised $1500 dollars for charity and accomplished a milestone in the process. So, strong suits can payoff in a positive way.

I trained and took part in a Cycling Century Ride in Tuscon 05-06. It was so much fun but very hard work. I rode 109 miles in just under 7 hours which will not win in Paris but won in my book as a major accomplishment. Unfortunately, I aggravated my knee so had to stay off it for a while. I was not able to continue biking afterwards. Too bad because you lose all your strength and air so quickly if you do not continue. Still have my bike but I put it on the trainer in my condo and have converted it to more of a commuter. Nice bike though.

My friend of 30-plus years, who told me about the job at the DA, decided to retire and move back to Ohio. I did not see that one coming. It ended up being okay but I was shocked she was leaving San Diego. She and her husband had decided to go back and take care of her mother. Her husband, a San Diego native, also wanted to try a new part of the country. Yeah, but SNOW??

I left my job at Emerald Publications after 7 years of employment. It was a great job but I wanted to try something new. I got wind of the DA job so I went for it. One of the perks was the retirement. It had to be one of the only places left where you could draw a retirement paycheck after a few years of service. Given the nature of the economy and me supporting my favorite person, ME, it seemed like a good idea. I still think it was a wise move and I am still here. I think I can...I think I can...I know I can...I know I can.

In history, this happened: 2005
http://www.infoplease.com/year/2005.html

No comments: