Sunday, April 5, 2009

FORTY-THREE

1998
Friends/Family:
Brother's Family, Mom and Dad

This is my sister-in-law and four nephews at my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary.

In January, I finally got a job. It was with a small risk management company where I would be in charge of designing and implementing training programs for businesses so they would be in compliance for risk assessment. It was a good fit for me at the time. I went from a large Corporate America environment to a small privately owned company. It was a good way to ease back into the workforce. There were only five of us on staff but I managed the outsourced illustrators who worked with me on the lesson plans.

We had some pretty significant accounts: McDonalds, Mrs. Fields, AM PM, Shell, Subway, Chevron and more. I worked with each account in setting up their programs. So, even though it was a small group, we had a pretty big impact. In hindsight, it was a great business model. Very little overhead and when needed, we would be in the back working on mailing lists and packing lesson plans. The company made a nice little profit.

My experience, during this timeframe, was about putting myself back together and rebuilding a new life. I liked the people I worked for so it was a good transition. Kent, the owner, had a private jet so he would invite me on sales calls and we would fly to our accounts. We went to Salt Lake City, Seattle and Dallas to name a few. I am not much of a flyer but I, for the most part, felt comfortable flying with Kent. I would sit up front and see the world out in front of us. It was pretty exciting. One time, flying into Dallas, there was a big storm brewing and the clouds were amazing. The turbulance was starting to pick up so it tossed the little jet around quite a bit. On that particular flight, I was thankful to land. Kent assured me that we were not in danger because it was just turbulence but I was still glad to be standing on solid ground.

In history, this happened: 1998
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1998.html

No comments: