Sunday, April 5, 2009

NINE

1964 - I can handle it - Adaptable
Friends/Family:
Mom and Dad, Georgetown friends

Three monumental and life-changing events happened to me in 1964: The Beatles, my first Barbie doll and moving.
The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. It was a family ritual to watch the Ed Sullivan Show. When the Beatles appeared, I cried. It was an out-of-this-world, blown-away cry. I literally sat on my knees in front of the TV and was so excited. I totally fell for Paul. He was gorgeous. I don't recall screaming because my dad never would have gone for that but it was all I could do to contain my excitement. From that day on I was hooked. The TV below is where I perched myself for Ed, The Beatles and President Kennedy's funeral.
This is absolutely the moment music entered my life and it would be significant from this point on. Having a brother, 4 years older, was an advantage because I got to listen to all of his records. In fact, I have some of his vinyls to this day. ;o)
I got my first Barbie that year for Christmas. She had short brown curly hair and a black and white swim suit. She came in a blue plastic case and there were a couple of outfits in there. I was super excited to get her for most of my friends already had Barbies. My grandmother taught me how to crochet so I made all kinds of clothes for her, all typically looking like big tubes that just slipped over her body. My mom would make clothes for her too. I was always very excited when she would present me with yet another great outfit for Barbie. I never got more than one Barbie and I never got any accessories or even a Ken doll. I don't recall wanting anything else but clothes for her. I had many great hours playing with my Barbie.
We got news the Summer of 1964 that my dad was being transferred from Georgetown to Greenville. Greenville, another little Norman Rockwell town, was about 3 hours away. I reacted very badly to this news. I did not want to leave my friends. I recall running to my room and sitting between my bed and wall and crying. My dad came in and held me and said it was going to be okay. I was in the 3rd grade at the time and my class gave me a going away party. It was at a friends house and I remember they did not have a bathroom. They only had an outhouse and I thought that was very odd. I also remember that they gave me a mustard seed necklace and I loved it. I wore it all the time. One day I was playing outside at the pink house and David, my neighbor and classmate, grabbed me (like in tag) and broke the necklace. I hit him and yelled at him and told him to find my necklace. I cried. My mom got home and found out about the missing necklace and looked for it as well. We never found it. I was sad because my classmates bought that for me and I was not going to have anything to remember them.

In history, this happened: 1964
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1964.html

No comments: