Sunday, April 5, 2009

SIX

1961

Friends/Family:
Grandma and Grandpa C, Mom and Dad, Brother

Grandma and Grandpa C. would come and visit us at the brick house. One year for Christmas, they brought my brother a farm set with plastic animals and fencing. I got a doll. The first thing I remembering doing to that doll was pulling her head off and smelling the scent. I loved the smell of plastic. It probably killed some brain cells but for some reason, I loved that smell. We also got this sheet metal toy that was about 18 by 24 inches and it had a picture of a chicken on it. At the bottom was a hole. It came with a gun that had a suction cup dart that loaded into the gun. The chicken had a bulls eye on it and if you shot the bulls eye, an egg would come out the hole at the bottom. I remember my brother shoving me and I fell against that propped up sheet metal picture and cut the corner of my eye. It left a big scar and I still have that scar today. I was lucky I did not lose my eye.

I ended up ditching the doll and playing with the farm set a lot. I liked putting the animals in the fenced in areas and making animal noises. My brother would always get mad when I would play with it.


When Grandma and Grandpa were there, I would go outside and make mud pies for them. We had little candy red hots shaped like hearts and I would decorate the tops of the pies with a design. I would present them to my grandparents and they were always so excited and loving.
Even though I did not see Splendor in the Grass until later, it came out in 1961. Little did I know it would be the most influential movie of my life. It left a huge impact on me and I will talk about it more circa 1969.
In history, this happened: 1961
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1961.html

No comments: