Sunday, April 5, 2009

TWELVE

1967 - I am a Good Girl - Pleaser
Friends/Family:
Knicks, Mom and Dad, Brother, Sue

Mr. Dull, our landlord at the Oak Tree Drive home, wanted to sell the house so we had to move. My dad did not want to live in town so we moved to a house in the country. It was owned by Mr. Knick so we referred to it as the Knick house. It was a big old farm house and my bedroom was upstairs. My room was wallpapered with big red roses on a pink background. It also had a big walk-in closet and in there was yellow wallpaper covered with yellow roses. I personally thought it was beautiful!
There was a huge barn and I use to play in the hay loft. I would have friends over and we would go up there and make forts and spend the entire day. We would be covered with scratches from the hay but it did not matter. We had a ball.
We had a basketball hoop on the barn. I would go out there with my brother and shoot hoops forever. Of course, I would always have to go after the ball when either he or I would miss. And another favorite trick of his was to bounce the ball in a puddle and get me all wet. He was mean but it did not stop me from playing ball with him.
My mom and dad got a HiLo camper that year and joined a camping club. I would go with them and always take a friend. Sometimes they would go to jamborees and there would always be teen dances. My friend and I would go and always meet boys to dance with but we had to make sure we were back by 10:00 or my mom would come looking for us.

The Knicks farmed the land and in the back fields they had corn. When they were done "picking" there would be random ears of corn left in the field. Mr. Knick would pay us so much $ to pick up the dry corn by hand. Whatever we got he would take out of the rent. I remember hating to do it because it was cold and dirty. But I guess we needed the money.
In history, this happened: 1967
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1967.html

No comments: