Sunday, April 5, 2009

FORTY-NINE

2004

Friends/Family:
Bob, Carol

Well, a little something changed from the end of 2003 to 2004. I was in Southern CA and all the cool kids were doing it so I did too. I decided a lighter version of me was in order. Went after work one day and said to my Stylist, "Let's do this". He thought I was nuts but he was excited to do it. Meant a bit more coin for him and a whole new adventure for me. I kept it for a few years and had fun with it. No impact that I was aware of other than my gray hair did not show up as quickly. This picture was taken by Bob, my ex. We were at the Monte Carlo, one of my favorite narrow little restaurants. They poured them like you were making them at home. Anyway, I was in town so we met for dinner then he took me to the airport. We had a great time and genuinely were glad to see each other. When we got to the airport he came in and sat with me. It was uncomfortable and sad. All the "what ifs" showed up and we both got teary-eyed. He finally left and I watched him walk away. He called me when I got home and said it was good to see me. I said the same. But that was it. We both had moved on and rightly so. Closure.

Again, I was extremely, EXTREMELY fortunate to be able to go on a cruise on the Adriatic Sea with a start in Venice, traveling around the boot and stopping in Rome and the Mediterranean Sea. Channel 8 again invited us to join them on a once-in-a-lifetime trip only this was a twice-in-a-lifetime. It was like Heaven. I was well aware of how fortunate I was to be on that trip. I cherished every day. Along the way, we had different stopping points at sweet and quaint coastal towns as well as Dubrovnik, Croatia, Pompeii, and Mount Etna.


Dubrovnik was dripping with the aftermath of war. Even though they had rebuilt in many areas, bombs and bullet holes pierced through the historic walled city. Pompeii was fascinating. It was incredible to learn of their modern society in 79 AD. Mount Etna is where this picture was taken. We took these huge monster trucks to the top. It was not exactly a smooth ride but they got us there and we hiked the rim of the volcano. We started and midway through I began to softly freak out. I had to stop. I was a bit paralyzed by the height and thin air. The path was about two feet across and on either side was "straight down". The guide had to come and do some motivational coaching and strategic pressure points on my hands to divert my fear. I finally got going again only to usher in a cloud that was as thick as cotton. The only thing I could see was the pair of feet in front of me. I could only rely on them knowing the way back. I accomplished it and was so thankful for the experience. By the way, Mount Etna erupted about a week after we returned to the states.


In history, this happened: 2004
http://www.infoplease.com/year/2004.html

No comments: