Sunday, April 5, 2009

FIFTY-TWO


2007

Friends/Family:
Brother's Family, Debbie

I remember the news of Virginia Tech. I immediately thought of my nephews. Three were in college at the time. I remember thinking that the innocence was gone. The innocence for my nephews was gone. Even though they were in schools in California, it could happen anywhere. Today the pressure and vulnerability of students is astounding and it runs so deep in an ever-demanding world. Not sure if it compares to the same pressures of Vietnam and the incident at Kent State only to say that innocent people got shot. There was angst about the war among the students, among the armed guards and law. However, unlike Virginia Tech, it did not mount and go unnoticed.

This picture was taken in Vegas. I went with some friends and we saw The Blue Man Group. It was pretty entertaining for Vegas.

I was just getting started in the DA's office. I was trying to fill positions from vacancies left by retirements, military leave and transfers. I was getting my feet wet, actually soaked, in the red tape of government. In the private sector, it was much easier to hire and fire with "at-will".



Funny term: "at will". I like it though.


Dictionary.com says it means: at will (adverb) as one chooses or pleases; "he can roam the neighborhood at will"


For the work place it means: The Company does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Either the Company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.


This hearkens back to growing up in a home where I had to take responsibility. Not an option not to. Sounds tough? But if it's your way of life, you don't know any better. So, you go out and expect others to be as responsible. When you don't see it, it gets a bit frustrating. Especially in the workplace. Personally, I think many organizations could get by with less people as they are quickly finding out in today's economy. Less is more. Just so I am not one of the "Less".

There were destructive fires in California in 2007. I was living downtown at the time. I remember feeling safe. or as safe as I could be, surrounded by concrete. So many people lost homes or were displaced. Even my brother and family were out of their home for about 8 days. But amazingly, there was only one person in the DA's office who lost their home. That was remarkable since there are over 1,200 people who work here.
To assist, I worked as much as I could during the fires. I bought supplies and took them to shelters. I also helped with 211 calls and created maps to assist in the field. It was nice to be able to contribute but sad to see the devastation. It was a crazy fire that was in full control of its destiny. It did not let the firemen win very often.

In history, this happened: 2007
http://www.infoplease.com/year-review-2007.html

No comments: