Sunday, April 5, 2009

FIFTY-ONE

2006

Friends/Family:
Mollie, JoAnn, Sam, Kristin

The real estate market was going goofy and I kept looking at property all over the place. I had doubled my money on my house in less than 2 years. Yet, after all these years in SO CAL I was still not feeling like it was home. I was antsy and wanted to move. I still feel like I moved here to lick my wounds and reset my life. So, I thought the reset was nearing an end so started looking. I looked at a project in Austin, TX and Mpls. I really liked the concept of this project called The Bridges. I even had a place on reserve. But right before I sent in my money, something stopped me. I just did not feel right about it...for many reasons. I am so glad I waited. The project never got off the ground and in hindsight, that is when I noticed the market changing.
Mollie and JoAnn, friends from Mpls, came out to help me with a garage sale. We plowed through so many things that I had moved from home to home and it was time to purge. I was looking forward to simplifying. The garage sale ran Saturday only and I sold over $1500.oo worth of stuff. That night we went to dinner and celebrated. What great friends they are!
One week before I was to move, my dog Tiger was attacked by coyotes in my backyard. It was at 3 AM when I let him out to go to the bathroom. I heard a yelping and I ran out. I saw nothing. I ran around to the side of the house and saw two coyotes trotting down the street. One had Tiger in its mouth. I ran after them screaming. They finally drop him and he ran under a bush. The coyotes stopped and watched me. I scooped up my dog and ran back to the house. I put him in the sink and bathed him. He seemed fine. I only saw a little blood. But about 2 minutes later, he collapsed. I took him to emergency where they stabilized him. They shaved his body and he had bite marks all over him but they thought they could save him. Later in the day, he started bleeding and it did not stop. They rushed him to surgery. The Vet came to talk to me and said it was going to be expensive and no guarantee. I said to proceed. They prepped him but he started to fade fast at 10 PM. I did not make it to see Tiger one last time. He was gone. I had lost a significant "pal" and only one week from moving into my new place. Very sad.
My indecisiveness on where to live is about me "cutting". (Pull up and move if you cannot find what you need.) Seems I can justify why I don't want to live here anymore. But where do I want to go? I am not sure. Is being older now a deterrent to a move? Do I need to have all my business affairs in order to make the move? Being carefree comes with a price. OR does it. Perhaps waiting for the moment, the moment to run, is more detrimental. But I know one thing. It is not San Diego. It is a city who thinks it's all that. A little city who has not capitalized on its sunshine...not even for tourists. A military town who still has not shaken the stereotypical strip joints. A little city so close to LA but culture cannot get past the checkpoint. A little city so close to the border, a beautiful country - Mexico - but to go is a death wish. So, I am done. But I can't leave yet. I have to get things lined up. Carefree comes with a price...and to me, of all people. The independent one. Hmmmm....
However, I made the move downtown into my condo at M2i. I decided to stick it out and since I got my new job, perhaps things would turnaround. I was very excited knowing that I no longer had to commute and could walk to work. It was a mile but was looking forward to getting the exercise. As the year wore on, I noticed the prevalence of homelessness downtown. I walked to work one day and a gentleman, who was draped in a soiled Mexican blanket, stepped out in front of me. My gag reflexes got the best of me. The stench was alarming. I had to stop and cross the street. I felt terrible in a physical way but also emotionally as I watched the man slumber along with no clue of his horrid smell.
Due to the mild climate, the homelessness in San Diego is high. During tourist season, the Sheriff will scoop them up and bring them into jail where they will get a shower, clean clothes, hot meals, medical exams and in some cases meds. Even though that is a temporary benefit for all, soon they are deposited back out on the streets. Sadly, a lot of the homelessness is due to mental illness, not down-on-their-luck circumstances. But there are reputable shelters and facilities, such as Father Joe's, where they can get help. It is just a matter of them taking advantage of it, which is difficult since their logic is impaired and predators are plentiful.
My walking continued but as Winter came, darkness arrived at 5:00 PM. So, I adjusted my hours so I could make it home before dark. That would be about the time the tweekers would come out to play. I was never bothered but in talking with DA personnel, they suggested I not walk. Soon afterwards, I got a parking spot next to the office. It ended up being a bit of a curse though because I now stay later at the office.
Two months after I started at the DA's office, I got a call from my former boss. He told me that Kristin was shot by her husband. Kristin was someone who reported to me at my former job. She was a graphic artist and married to Sam, a deputy sheriff, and they had two kids. Right before Christmas, Sam and Kristin got into an argument and he shot her in the face. Their 4-year old son was in their bedroom when it happened. Her parents, living at their home at the time, heard the fight and came to her rescue but it was too late. She died a few hours after the shooting. I saw the autopsy pictures. I would not listen to the 911 call.
My job now had a very personal face and it gave me a whole new perspective on the type of business I am in.

In history, this happened: 2006
http://www.infoplease.com/year/2006.html

No comments: